This is the text I received some time ago, and I was waiting for an appropriate time to do so. Today is the day.
I bet you'll recognize several of the chiefs and ex-captains in the text. I can see each and every one....
If you are a boss, find out if the shoe fits. If it is a child, you learn what NOT to do when it is your turn
BY ALESSANDRA FONTANA AND MARCIA ROCK
On the 11th of September last year, the news agency Reuters, has lost some of the officials in the bombing of the World Trade Center in the United States. One of the officers of the company, which has an office in New York, I was working in another state and when he was informed that his child had died. He said it without any difficulty and the name of the professional, and the work which he had done, but oddly enough, he was never able to remember his face. The executive was concerned to be aware of the absurdity of the situation – after all, it is the person with whom they lived. For this reason, your first course of action when he came back to the office, it was to devote part of their time to talk face-to-face with other staff members. He did this to make sure that you are not going to forget in the face of any of them. This story is part of one of the lectures for the american by Robert Pasick, a psychologist, an organizational, and a professor in the School of Business at the University of Michigan, in the United States, and it is a sad picture of how good the relationship is between leader and subordinate is in the middle of the 21. “It's not that the executive is to be a bad boss, but it is essential that a leader should worry about the fact his team”, says Pasick.
It has no jurisdiction in what?
Most of the time, when someone says “so-and-so is incompetent,” it is referring to the technical skills of that person. It so happens that you know to do the job right, is just one of the many skills required of a professional in today's day and, even more so for those who are in charge of. At the end of last year, the consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers has done a study of 12 companies to the size of the Alcoa, Company, Natura, and the Bbc about the top ten most appreciated qualities in an officer who holds the post of key. Entered into the list of strategic thinking, creativity and innovation, as well as the management of projects and change. Leadership, team building and people management were also part of the package, and it is precisely these competencies, that is, the heads tend to slip. “I am under the impression that the companies are concerned only with the technical expertise of its leaders, and does not prepare them to deal with the people,” he says of the doctor's work, Margaret Baker. In another study, carried out by consultancy KPMG at the beginning of this year, and came to the following conclusion: more than half of the 100 professionals surveyed have left their jobs due to problems in the relationship with the authorities. “When it comes to keeping an employee in a company, a good boss is worth more than a salary that is rewarding,” says Pasick.
There has always been the bosses who are incompetent. Maybe they have increased in number because of the war for talent has created a very serious problem in business: in an effort to retain their employees more competent, and many have begun to speed up their promotions. “The result of this is that the more ill-prepared they came into power,” says the consultant, De Azevedo, the LARGEST. The concept of employability, it also needs to be taken into account in order to analyze the performance of those who are at the top of it is very positive that each and every one believed to be responsible for their own careers, but there are a lot of professionals who are organized and are at the mercy of their own fate, without any kind of support from the company. “It's as if the simple act of turning the head to become a person capable of exercising on the job,” says a consultant, Mary has Appeared Rhein Schirato, in the Rhein Schirato Consultant, and author of the book is dedicated to the Organizations, Systems, and Imaginary worlds (published by Atlas). In addition to this, the bosses tend to have too many responsibilities and autonomy in the least tending to stay restricted. They – especially the managers – they live in a paper, for instance). “You have to protect the interests of the owner of the company, but they are employees like any other employee,” says Maria Aparecida, brazil.
Here's the ideal scenario for the emergence of the perpetrators are doing, and those leaders who treat their subordinates as inferior. “They are such bad leaders, every one in his own rank in the pyramid organization, if you rely on the old excuse, ‘I command, you obey’ and to destroy the self-esteem of the people,” says Margaret. From 1996 to 2000, she completed a survey on the case of humiliation in the workplace, and has come to a sad conclusion: bullying is a reality in the brazilian companies (for more on this topic, please go to the web site www.assediomoral.org). One of the many gems enterprise, which the doctor collects it for the e-mail address of the regional manager of a well-known bank in brazil he asked the other 19 managers in general, and their children: “enough is Enough. Those who do not turn in your homework, will not spend in a year... If we have another failure, or in this case, the blame will be yours, and that you don't know to take their child to achieve the goals of...” Daisy, also in the case of a manager of an airline company that has made a habit of climbing up on the table and call it a team, “bunch of wankers”, and for companies that fire their employees, by telegram or in corporate gatherings.
The owners of the truth
To err is human, and the leaders can also make mistakes, right? Absolutely right, but a lot of them are wrong, they know it, and even then, if you want to take the plunge, for fear of losing authority over their children. “What do they have to lose is the respect of the team. People know when they are being fooled,” says Irene, the LARGEST. If you want to, in the sincerity of your employees, you should give it to them. Speech and action, they have to be exactly the same. If not, you can say good-bye to the confidence of the team.
Nothing in the feedback
Leave it to say the least then it is a mortal sin because it makes it a truncated and has an effect on the morale and production of your team. It should be said at the same time – whether they are good or bad. “If the review is not done as soon after the incident, did not work to the desired effect,” says Maria Aparecida, brazil. You must either praise it or call the attention of his or her subordinates when the facts are still fresh in the memory, and the emotion in them. Just not worth it making comments on it passes through them, it demeans the employee. If you don't like something, you can call them to talk to you alone, in a firm tone, but still with the finesse of a hand.
The group leader and nothing else
Many of the managers acting as quality inspectors, that is, they only reveal themselves once the job is done, when there is nothing else to do.... The correct way is to follow the process, intervene, and provide feedback while the task is still being carried out – which, of course, we're talking about a team. “The leader needs to co-ordinate the work, not just supervise it, as if it were part of the process,” said Maria Aparecida, brazil.
An indispensable and irreplaceable
A large part of the managers did not believe that to be a part of your responsibilities, wondering which will, in turn, ensure that your own chair to the head. “They are confused, make tame,” said the adviser, Pedro Mandelli in the book Quite Apart from the Hierarchy (Published By Us). And educating people takes work, especially if the staff is trained only to perform the task. The worst part is that this is the story of giving a fish instead of teach a man to fish he ends up spreading to all levels of the hierarchy, and no evidence of another fault is very common in the business, they often don't prepare successors, to the high command. There is a saying, perfect to show the risks of doing so: “don't be irreplaceable. For those who could not be replaced, it can not be given. Even Jack Welch, the former member of the all-powerful, the SELLER, has prepared a follow-up, why can't you do the same thing?
The motivation is zero
Leaders who are only concerned about the technical competency of the team is faced with a serious problem: a lack of enthusiasm from the group. Also, and not by accident! How do you want the involvement and the creativity they're always asking people to simply comply with their orders? It is their role to make the employees feel a key part of the process. If not, get ready to live surrounded by a pack of insane. Leaders who guide their success and socialize failure to have a team down and discouraged,” says Tracy, of the LARGEST.
Toma lá, dá cá
Vânia Ferro, ceo of 3Com, says that he usually doesn't talk to the staff soon after a meeting with their own bosses, especially if the agenda of the meeting was to define goals and achieve them. Vanya prefers to think about it a little bit before you talk to your employees. This way, you avoid passing stress on to your group. Vanya is an example to be copied! “A good boss always cares about you to filter the information to their superiors,” says Irene. Considering that, except for the owner of the company, they all have a top and then someone to manage, have you thought about whether you will just be limited to share your rants, that you get? Work became a living hell, and then, with time, you can be assured that the produce and the staff will be put at risk. The key is to learn how to speak the language of the superiors and the subordinates.
A little bit of psychology
Some psychoanalysts are going to get in the childhood relationship with their parents or with the person who has taken on this role, the explanation as to how a professional deals with is the authority to be in the position of the head, is that of a child. In the book, The Practical Coach Management Skills for Everyday Life (Editora Prentice Hall), Paula Caproni cita and the work of William Kahn and Kathy Kram, two researchers from the University of Boston, in the United States. They described the three behaviors of the key people are in relation to the power to:
• independent to get into the individuals that they were created by parents who, from an early age, if you really care about your needs. To the contractor, then the authority is good until the contrary is proved. They put their trust in themselves and in others. Leaders, thus, tend to have a good relationship with your child. It is not unusual to hear of them in the following sentence: “don't worry, we're in this together,” and “tell me what you think, what can we do to help each other out?”
• dependent on parents who alternate between periods of warmth with others, to indifference, to create insecurity in the children, who are left without knowing when they may or may not have them. When you become a chief, these people have the belief that you should take care of the team and, therefore, likely to retain their staff, is always dependent upon each other. If they are a child, your middle name is on the submission. They are one of those who think that the boss is always right."
• contradependente this behavior is typical of people who have had a parent physically or psychologically absent in their childhood. These people have a high dose of self-confidence and believing in total in the world around them. For them, the head is absolutely not necessary. “When you're in charge, you do not agree with your child, and do not give them any support,” he said.
To correct the negative patterns of behavior, think about the relationship between the boss and the subordinate, as with the relationship between any two beings are fallible. “As a professional rises through the ranks, the more dependent it becomes the other,” he said. That is, you are not no one without his team, and they need your support in order to grow professionally. She says Mandelli, “you need to be a manager, in addition to the hierarchy.” So, we've discussed?
TO DEAL WITH A DIFFICULT BOSS
• Take the what is your – Think carefully about what the point of your work being criticized by the boss. “There are some things that are very much related to the way it handles and the power that is with you personally,” said Maria Aparecida, Rhein Schirato, in the Rhein Schirato Consultants.
• Leave it for tomorrow If the boss is in a bad day at the office, you can talk with him later.
• Give and ask for feedback all of the time A frog here and there, and then when you realize it, already swallowed up in a swamp as a whole. For this reason, you should resolve all the outstanding issues as soon as they appear.
• To be included in the story – Do not accuse your head when you go and talk to him – which, of course, the problem is on your side as well. It is best to take an address like “your anxiety is causing me desconcentre. You make me so many charges that I don't even know where to start.”
• Talk in the office Since the subject of the work is the conversation it must be in the same company.
• Bring to a boil on the head If all you want to do is scream and get out slamming the door, there is me! “Anyone who acts in such a way that it shows that it is not a professional. A bad boss is going to lay down and roll over in this situation,” said Maria Aparecida, brazil.
• Make a lemonade stand – Because it is very difficult to find someone 100% unqualified, look at what you can learn from your boss. “If you've got a leader is weak, you can take advantage of in order to develop their autonomy,” says the consultant, De Azevedo, the LARGEST. Just don't get on the stand complaining about it to the corners, because there is nothing more antiprofissional – and-boring – than that.
• To break the silence This is especially true for people who are suffering from any form of harassment. When you're talking with your boss, do so in the presence of a witness. If that does not resolve, you should talk with the top of it. “And, if the case is serious, take the matter outside the company, the union, or a lawyer,” he says of the doctor's work, Margaret Baker.
GIVE A NAME TO THE OXEN,
If you are going out of business because they could no longer deal with living with your boss, you should make this clear. Many of the companies that set up the interview demissional just for that purpose. The Group's Company, for example, that they take place in 1987. There is no official resigns, or is discharged without going through an interview with those – unless you don't want it to be. “From these conversations, we have learned valuable information on improving management of the people,” says Cicero, a Rock, a senior vice president at human talent in the company. According to the Rock, the transparency part of the culture of the Company and the officers and directors to deal with the criticism as a valuable tool to improve their work.
Now, if there is no such feature in the business you are in, the way is to " wing it." The rock suggests a conversation with your boss. “With the greatest calm, state your reasons and explain what has happened,” he said. According to him, it is a good idea to have a conversation with, and identical with that of the head of the department of personnel. It's also worth writing a letter, in duplicate, one for the head and one for the RH. “A person should not go out silent, because to speak it is the only way to change this state of affairs,” says the Rock. It is even better if, in addition to the criticism of the employee to make suggestions for you. Then, to be sure, even when you are exit, you will come across various points in the curriculum. The people who behave in this way to show that you have no ethics, and yet they leave the door open.”
THE DEADLY SINS
To get to the bottom published this year in the Guide Exam, 2001 – The top 100 Best Companies to Work forthe Great Place to Work Institute examined the nearly 28-thousand questions. These are the most frequent complaints from members of the staff to evaluate the performance of their leaders:
• They do not have a criterion of right in the time to promote his or her subordinates
Do not recognize when someone is doing a good job or extra effort
• They favor certain employees
• Make it political
• Is centering, and it does not involve people in the decisions that affect their work
• Does not provide autonomy to the group
• Don't know how to distribute it appropriately to the task